Goose Pond Scout Reservation
Goose Pond Scout Reservation is a Boy Scouts of America summer camp operated by the Northeastern Pennsylvania Council. The camp is located near Lake Wallenpaupack, in Paupack Township, Pennsylvania. The camp is also a short drive from the village of Hamlin, which is located in Lake Township.
Goose Pond, the lake around which the whole camp is based, is a 65-plus acre glacial lake surrounded by hillsides of forests rich in evergreens, hardwoods, and other fauna. The total area of the camp is 542 acres (2.19 km2) which includes the lake.
Staying at the Pond places Scouts close to many of the sites on the northern end of the Pocono Plateau, Scranton, and the tri-state region.
Goose Pond Scout Reservation has been in continuous operation since 1920. Goose Pond's summer camp season runs seven weeks from late June through mid August during which more than a thousand scouts and leaders visit the camp.Goose Pond is the location of various events throughout the year. During summer camp, a staff of scouts provide merit badge courses that scouts can attend during the week. Registration for the summer program typically starts at the end of the previous season. Available badges range from Rifle, Shotgun, Fishing, Nature, Climbing, etc. The summer program also sponsors other programs such as the voyager program that is designed for older scouts who have obtained the majority of the merit badges offered through the normal program. The camp also supports other events such as Order of the Arrow Ordeal weekends, Cub Scout programs, Venturing programs, council leadership courses, and the annual winter Klondike Derby. The camp also supports a high and low Challenging Outdoor Personal Experience (COPE) Course throughout the Spring, Summer, and fall seasons.
Click here to view our 95 Years of Patches
Joseph J. Jermyn Assembly Hall The Joseph J. Jermyn Assembly hall (colloquially known as the Dining Hall or Mess Mall) was built in 1923 with an expansion added in 1993. It serves as the camp's main dining facility, serving thousands of meals a summer. During the off-season it is used for OA Ordeals, Klondike Derbies, Council-sponsored training events, Camporees, and more. Hundreds of plaques donated by troops, patrols, camp staff and the like cover the wall and rafters. A current cataloging project is underway to photograph and record all of the plaques (some dating as far back as 1952) for posterity.
Dickson Lodge Dickson Lodge serves as the camp's Nature Lodge and as a winter camp lodge in the off season.
Helcoski Lodge Helcoski Lodge serves as the Handicraft Building and as a winter camp lodge in the off season. The western end of the building also houses the quartermaster's store. A renovation process is currently in the works to update the interior and add an overhaning porch. Renovations are expected to be completed by the 2008 camping season.
Joseph J. Jermyn Administration Building The Joseph J. Jermyn Administration Building, better known as the Administration Building or just "the ad-building," holds the camp office and trading post on the first floor along with some storage rooms. The second floor contains an office for the program director and program staff, a staff lounge, and a conference room for staff and troop leader meetings.
Shapiro-Everly Reception and First Aid Building This building, best known as the Health Lodge, is located right behind the main entrance to the camp. The building is divided in half with one half serving as the nurse's station and quarters and the other half serving as the quarters for the camp director.
In addition to the primary buildings, there are various other smaller structures such as the outdoor learning area pavilion, pavilion across from the dining hall, the Cook's Cabin for the kitchen staff, the adult and youth shower houses, the pump house, and the maintenance shed (originally a pasteurization plant for the early camp). Two military command sheds were donated by Tobyhanna Army Depot. One of them is used for the COPE office and the other is used for shooting sports equipment storage.